Life at Adelphi, Life in the US, Student Stories

Kajal’s First Diwali with Adelphi International

Diwali buffet

A few weeks ago, Adelphi International celebrated Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights. Kajal, a MAP 1 MBA student from India, shared her thoughts about the event!

Sweets

“It hasn’t been that long since I arrived in the United States. I had been anxiously looking forward to this experience because studying in the United States has been my long lived dream. However, I did not anticipate being homesick. Even worse, Diwali was around the corner, and I had no idea as to how I’d celebrate it this year. But, guess what? Adelphi International organized a Pre-Diwali celebration party–for everyone!

Students drawing

The food was scrumptious–we had Namkeen (salty & crunchy Indian snacks), mouth-watering Gulab Jamun and Rasgullas (brown and white milk based sweets ), Boondi/Besan Ladoos (round shaped sweets made from chickpea flour) , Soan papdi (crispy, flaky textured sweets that melt instantly in your mouth) and much more. We even played the game musical chairs, and the place was beautifully decorated with lights and colorful drawings! We all had a fantastic time!

Students choosing food 1Students choosing food 2

Not only was I bestowed upon with a sense of belonging, but I also had the opportunity to share it with my other classmates. The experience of making some new connections, having a new family away from home and being able to savor this moment brought me immense joy. I could not have asked for more and I could not be happier than this!

Thank you, Adelphi International for giving us, as well as our culture, so much love and respect.

May this year bring us all good luck and keep us all in good health.”

Students group