Life at Adelphi, Life in the US, Student Stories

Introducing Residence Hall Director Omar El Ghetrify and the St. George Residence

Omar

Hello! My name is Omar El Ghetrify. I am a 23-year-old international student from Egypt. I’m currently pursuing my Master’s degree in business administration at Adelphi University and I also work for the Office of Residential Life and Housing as a Graduate Assistant Residence Hall Director for the St. George Residence. St. George is an off-campus housing location for Adelphi International students. Since I currently live in St. George, I wanted to share some great information about this awesome off-campus housing option!

St. George: History and Location

The St. George Residence, which is also known as Hotel St. George, has a lot of history to it; It used to be one of the largest hotels in New York City, with visitors, famous actors and politicians coming from all over the world to stay there. Now, it is operated by Educational Housing Services (EHS) and has been a residence hall, designed for students and interns, since 1987. St. George is home to many people from different backgrounds who are attending different universities in New York.

St. George: Double room

St. George is in Brooklyn Heights, one of the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Brooklyn Heights is very safe, clean and most importantly, a very trendy neighborhood, full of different activities to take advantage of. St. George is conveniently located just steps away from the Brooklyn Bridge, with AMAZING views of the Manhattan skyline. There is also easy access to DUMBO and Brooklyn Bridge Park. The park has basketball courts, soccer fields, pools, beach volleyball courts and kayaks that are available for FREE.

Manhattan Skyline from Brooklyn Bridge Park

What a view! This is the from Brooklyn Bridge Park, just steps away from St. George.

St. George is close to three grocery stores, all located within a 10-minute walk. It is also only 15 minutes away from Downtown Brooklyn—with some of the best restaurants in NYC. EHS St. George is conveniently located near three major subway stations – all within less than a 10-minute walk. St. George is only one stop away from the major subway station in the heart of Wall Street and the Financial District. St. George is also only about a 15-minute subway ride to the Adelphi Manhattan Center on Varick Street, and about 45-minutes away from Adelphi’s Garden City campus.

St. George: Study room

Amenities at St. George:

Students who live at St. George have access to so many amenities that can make the living experience very enjoyable. The St. George Residence offers free WIFI, free cable, a communal kitchen with brand new appliances, a media room (with a large screen for movie nights!), lounges with billiard (pool) tables and big screen TVs, a laundry room with washers and dryers in the building, modern study rooms that are great for individual or group study, mail services and free access to a full-sized gym. The gym also boasts a full-sized swimming pool and gym equipment that would fit any students’ needs! The rooms at St. George are fully furnished and include a microwave and a mini-fridge.

Inside room amenities

St. George: In-room amenities

St. George: Laundry facilities

St. George: Media room

St. George Staff:

St. George has two security booths that are covered by security staff 24 hours a day, every day of the year. St. George also has a front desk staff that residents can go to if they need anything. There are also six resident assistants for the building, as well as three professional staff members; two resident directors and an associate resident director. All of those staff members, including myself, are always available to assist any and all residents. There are always at least two people on call 24 hours a day to respond to any student needs. I work specifically with Adelphi International students and I focus on assisting them in the building as well to as answer any questions they might have about the university and the learning experience on campus. Since I am currently pursuing my MBA at Adelphi, I feel I can really help to improve the student experience and answer questions about academics for the other AUI students that live at this off-campus dorm.

If you are a prospective student at Adelphi or even a current student looking for a change in off-campus housing location, I hope you will consider living at EHS. St. George – it is an amazing place to call your home!

St. George: Lounge

St. George communal kitchen photo

St. George: Communal kitchen